Connect with us

International

King Charles Breaks Silence Following Former Prince Andrew’s Arrest

Published

on

King Charles III has spoken publicly after British police arrested his brother, the former Prince Andrew, on Thursday.
Andrew — who now uses the name Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor after his “prince” title was withdrawn by his brother last year — was detained on suspicion of misconduct in public office linked to his tenure as a U.

K. trade envoy, a position in which he promoted British business interests overseas.
The arrest follows the U.S. Justice Department’s release of documents connected to the late convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, with whom Andrew reportedly communicated directly and indirectly through aides.
In a statement issued Thursday, Charles said he had “learned with the deepest concern” of Andrew’s arrest.
“What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities,” Charles said. “In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation.”
He added, “Let me state clearly: the law must take its course. As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter.”
Charles also noted that the royal family would continue carrying out its public duties and service to the British people.
Buckingham Palace confirmed to ABC News that the palace had not been informed in advance of Andrew’s arrest.
In a statement, Thames Valley Police said officers had “arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk.”
“The man remains in police custody at this time. We will not be naming the arrested man, as per national guidance,” the statement added.
Last week, Charles released a separate statement addressing Andrew’s alleged connections to Epstein, who died by suicide in a New York City jail in 2019, as outlined in Justice Department documents.
Andrew has previously denied any wrongdoing related to Epstein.
“The King has made clear, in words and through unprecedented actions, his profound concern at allegations which continue to come to light in respect of Mr Mountbatten-Windsor’s conduct. While the specific claims in question are for Mr Mountbatten-Windsor to address, if we are approached by Thames Valley Police we stand ready to support them as you would expect,” a Buckingham Palace spokesperson said in a February 9 statement to ABC News.
Meanwhile, members of the royal family proceeded with their official engagements Thursday. Queen Camilla visited Sinfonia Smith Square Hall in London, where she attended a lunchtime orchestral performance, while Charles appeared at Tolu Coker’s London Fashion Week show at 180 Strand.
Prince William, heir to the British throne, and his wife Catherine Princess of Wales, are not expected to release a separate statement but are understood to support the King’s remarks.
Earlier this month, on February 9, Kensington Palace issued its first-ever statement regarding Andrew on behalf of William and Catherine, stating: “I can confirm The Prince and Princess have been deeply concerned by the continuing revelations. Their thoughts remain focused on the victims.”

See also  NSCIA urges Muslims to look out for Crescent moon
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *