General News
Nigeria Takes Afrophobia in South Africa to AU, Demands Immediate Action Against Attacks
By Iyojo Ameh
Nigeria has intensified calls for urgent action to end recurring xenophobic and Afrophobic attacks against African nationals in South Africa, warning that the violence poses a threat to continental unity, regional integration and South Africa’s international standing.
The Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Sola Enikanolaiye, made the call on Tuesday during a virtual roundtable on “South Africa’s Xenophobia in Comparative Perspective,” organised by the Nigerian Institute of International Affairs (NIIA).
The Minister said Nigeria was concerned about the persistence of attacks against African migrants and insisted that the issue must be addressed through stronger migration governance, responsible political leadership and renewed continental solidarity.
Enikanolaiye argued that the term Afrophobia more accurately captures the nature of the attacks, describing them as having “a particularly African, post-colonial and post-apartheid character.”
Nigeria Recalls Sacrifices for South Africa
The Minister expressed concern over what he described as a historical contradiction whereby citizens of countries that supported South Africa during its anti-apartheid struggle are now being portrayed as unwanted outsiders.
He disclosed that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs had directed the NIIA to conduct a comprehensive study documenting Nigeria’s contributions to the South African liberation struggle.
According to him, Nigeria’s support included a financial commitment estimated at more than $60 billion, as well as the nationalisation of British Petroleum, scholarships and hospitality extended to South African leaders.
“The relationship between Nigeria and South Africa is not reducible to trade statistics or diplomatic communiqués. There is history in that relationship. There is blood, sacrifice and solidarity in that history,” Enikanolaiye said.
90 Nigerians Reportedly Killed
The Minister said Nigeria was particularly alarmed by the loss of lives arising from Afrophobic violence.
He disclosed that about 90 Nigerians had been killed in Afrophobic attacks since June 2022, with additional attacks and displacement reportedly recorded in 2026.
He warned that the continued violence could have far-reaching consequences for South Africa, including damage to its international reputation, declining investor confidence, threats to regional integration and the erosion of the moral authority it gained from its liberation struggle.
Nigeria Demands Stronger Migration Governance
To tackle the crisis, Nigeria called on South African authorities to strengthen migration systems and ensure that immigration laws are implemented through transparent, humane and lawful processes.
Enikanolaiye stressed that immigration enforcement must remain the responsibility of the state, warning against vigilantism and attacks by private groups.
He also urged political leaders to moderate their rhetoric, particularly statements that portray migrants as criminals or job thieves.
According to him, such language can fuel resentment and create an environment in which violence against foreigners becomes easier to justify.
The Minister also called for public discussions on migration to be based on credible facts and data rather than misinformation and unverified claims circulating on social media.
Early-Warning Mechanism Must Be Activated
Nigeria further urged the full activation of existing Nigeria-South Africa early-warning and rapid-response mechanisms to enable authorities to identify emerging tensions and intervene before they escalate.
Enikanolaiye said the responsibility for addressing Afrophobia should not rest solely with governments.
He called for greater involvement of businesses, universities, religious and traditional institutions, youth organisations, civil society and the media in rebuilding trust and strengthening people-to-people diplomacy.
Nigeria, Ghana to Raise Issue at AU
The Minister disclosed that Nigeria and Ghana would jointly raise the issue at the next session of the African Union Assembly of Heads of State and Government.
While acknowledging South Africa’s willingness to engage on the “push and pull factors” associated with migration, he stressed that the immediate priority should be addressing the hate-driven violence against African nationals.
He said Africa must move beyond merely tolerating citizens of other African countries and instead build a continent where Africans can live, work and do business with dignity.
“What Africa needs now is not mere tolerance but belonging to a continent where a Nigerian in Johannesburg and a South African in Lagos are regarded first as Africans with equal dignity,” he said.
Tinubu Reaffirms Protection of Nigerians Abroad
Enikanolaiye also reaffirmed President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s commitment to protecting Nigerians abroad.
He cited the President’s intervention in the recent repatriation of Nigerians from South Africa and commended Nigeria’s diplomatic missions in Pretoria and Johannesburg, as well as other stakeholders, for ensuring the exercise was conducted promptly.
The Minister said the Federal Government remained committed to working with South Africa, the African Union, ECOWAS and other partners to address the challenge.
He stressed that the success of African integration would ultimately depend on translating diplomatic commitments into practical solidarity, mutual respect and protection for all Africans, regardless of their country of origin.





