Connect with us

News

Controversy Rocks NDC Over Alleged N5bn Requirement for Governorship Hopefuls

Published

on

Governorship aspirants of the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC) have expressed displeasure over the alleged insistence by the Senator Sam Egwu-led Screening Committee that aspirants must show evidence of N5 billion in their bank accounts before scaling through the screening process.


The committee, which commenced screening after its inauguration on Monday, screened the party’s sole presidential aspirant, Mr.
Peter Obi, on Tuesday. However, governorship aspirants reportedly faced tougher conditions, as the committee allegedly demanded proof of N5 billion in bank accounts as part of the screening requirements.
Investigations by CAPITAL POST on Wednesday revealed that many party members viewed the decision as inappropriate for a newly registered opposition party still striving to establish itself in the nation’s democratic space.
Speaking with CAPITAL POST in Abuja, a governorship aspirant from the South-South region described the requirement as “high-handed,” arguing that such a financial benchmark was neither contained in the Electoral Act nor the constitution of the Nigeria Democratic Congress.
According to the aspirant, the NDC, as an opposition party, should not conduct its affairs like a ruling party where decisions are allegedly imposed arbitrarily. He maintained that the party should serve as a model for internal democracy and attract individuals committed to good governance rather than creating an environment where financial strength determines political opportunities.
He further stated that although many aspirants recently joined the party, anyone contesting for governorship would naturally have made financial preparations for campaigns. However, he argued that demanding proof of N5 billion was not in the interest of a new party seeking to challenge the ruling party.
“We are in the NDC because of injustice and the arrogance of the All Progressives Congress (APC), and the party should be home to all of us. It should be liberal in handling aspirants and not make the contest favourable only to the highest bidder.
“Even the APC as the ruling party has never considered such a huge benchmark as part of the requirements for governorship contests.
“The screening is scheduled for Thursday and we are trying to beat INEC’s deadline. I don’t think this condition will be acceptable. The screening committee should focus more on acceptability and electability rather than financial strength so the party can move forward. It is already understood that anyone contesting for governorship must make provisions for campaign funding,” he said.
The aspirant also noted that political parties had already submitted their registers to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and that the window for defections and cross-carpeting had closed. He urged the NDC leadership to reconsider the decision before the screening exercise.
Meanwhile, senator Sam Egwu, chairman of the screening committee said the allegation was not true, stressing that it was a mere fabrication to smear the party of its good intentions to rescue Nigerians from its present urgly situation.

See also  Nigeria at 64, Nasarawa at 28: CP Nadada warn violent protesters to have a rethink
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *