Connect with us

Governance

Gunpowder Explosion at DICON Factory Leaves Two Dead, Several Injured

Published

on

A tragic explosion occurred on Saturday at the Defence Industries Corporation of Nigeria (DICON) factory in Kurmin Gwari, Kaduna, believed to have been triggered during gunpowder production. The blast claimed the lives of two workers, including a military officer, while four others sustained injuries.

The incident happened as staff were on a weekend shift.

Residents living near the factory recounted that the explosion was deafening, shaking nearby buildings. The injured were first rushed to St. Gerard Catholic Hospital in Kakuri, about two kilometers away, before being transferred by military ambulance to the 44 Nigerian Army Reference Hospital in Kaduna.

When our reporter visited St. Gerard, the scene was filled with DICON workers, family members of the victims, and grieving relatives, some of whom were in tears.

An eyewitness, who assisted in evacuating the victims, said the blast occurred during the production of a gunpowder substance known as primer powder. He confirmed that one military officer and a civilian worker died instantly, while four other civilians were left critically injured. Another resident described hearing the powerful explosion, which shook buildings and sent people running, initially fearing it was a bomb before learning it came from the weapons factory.

See also  TINUBU’S REFORMS ALREADY YIELDING RESULTS — DANIEL BWALA

In her official statement, DICON’s Public Relations Officer, Maria Sambo, explained that the explosion was linked to expired materials stored in the factory bunkers. According to her, the incident occurred around 10 a.m. on September 20, 2025, at the Ordnance Factory disposal pit.

She revealed that some of the expired raw materials included Ammonium Nitrate, Primer Caps, and Propellants. Since July 2025, DICON had been conducting safe disposal of such materials, with most already destroyed. Unfortunately, the accident happened as experts were finalizing the destruction of the remaining items.

Sambo confirmed that the injured are receiving treatment at the 44 Nigerian Army Reference Hospital, while the deceased has been taken to the mortuary.

“We regret the loss of lives and wish the injured workers a quick recovery. DICON assures the public that the situation is under control and there is no cause for alarm. We also want to reassure the host community that we strictly follow safety protocols, and the remaining hazardous materials have been secured,” she said.

She added that a Board of Inquiry has been set up to determine the exact cause of the accident.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *